Chickpea, Lentil & Turmeric Burgers
300g Tinned Chickpeas, 200g Uncooked Red Split Lentils, 200g Goats Cheese, 150g Wild Garlic Leaf Pesto, 100g Plain Flour, Egg to bind, 20g Turmeric, 10g Paprika, Breadcrumbs & Polenta, Sunflower Oil for frying.
1. Just cover the lentils with cold water, cook till boiling and then simmer for 10 minutes, drain afterwards.
2. Ditto the chickpeas but for 4-5 minutes.
3. Blend well in a large bowl, the cooked lentils, chickpeas, goats cheese, Wild Garlic Leaf Pesto, flour, turmeric & paprika. You may need to add more flour if the mixture is too wet.
4. Add the whisked egg in and start making small burger-shaped patties.
5. Roll the patties in a plateful of breadcrumbs & polenta before frying.
6. Fill a deep frying pan half full with sunflower oil. Only start to add the patties when the oil is hot.
7. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side.
8. Serve with french fries & runner beans.
These vegetarian burgers are a perfect excuse to host a supper party, either cook them on the night or even a few days in advance. Perfect kept in the fridge for a few days or freezer for more.
Pan-Fried Crispy Chilli Kale
500g Kale, 2 Fresh Red Chilli, Olive Oil to fry, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt
1. Wash, de-stalk & finely chop the kale.
2. Place your pan on the hob with a good glug of olive oil until hot.
3. Add the finely chopped kale and saute for 10 minutes.
4. Towards the end of the kale cooking, chop and add the fresh red chillis in, and with a generous pinch of wild garlic leaf salt & black pepper for good measure.
The kale is a perfect side for something like fresh breaded whitebait and green lentils.
Fried Pesto & Manchego Sandwich
Pot of Wild Garlic Leaf Pesto & Salt, 200g Manchego, Loaf of Sourdough, Olive Oil, Butter, Onions.
1. Sauté onions in butter till golden and leave aside.
2. Fry the sliced sourdough in olive oil until crispy.
3. Spread Wild Garlic Leaf Pesto and place onions & sliced manchego onto fried sourdough.
4. Grill whole sandwich until manchego is melted.
5. Pinch & sprinkle Wild Garlic Leaf Salt on top.
Dandelion, Chickweed & Sorrel Garden Salad
Dandelions, Chickweed, Sorrel, Raw Apple Cyder Vinegar, Whole Mustard, Honey, Olive Oil, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt, Black Pepper, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt, Pumpkin Seeds
1. Sustainably forage the dandelions, chickweed, & sorrel enough to feed 4.
2. Mix the raw apple cyder vinegar, whole mustard, honey, olive oil, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt, & black pepper, into a vinaigrette.
3. Tear leaves into bowl and pour over the vinaigrette.
4. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the salad to serve.
Watermint & Elderflower Champagne
12 Elderflower Heads, 2 Sprigs of Watermint, 2 Litres of Water, 500g Honey, Citric Acid (if needed)
1. Sustainably forage elderflowers & watermint.
2. Soak the heads and leaves into 1.5 litres of cold fresh water for an hour
3. Add 0.5 litres of boiling water and stir in honey till dissolved. Leave to soak for 24 hours.
4. Sieve the liquid into bottles and store for 2-3 weeks.
5. Serve ice cold with ice and mint leaves.
Stonebaked Feta, Chilli & Mushroom Pizza
200g Pre-Made Pizza Dough, 150g Feta, 200g Chanterelle Mushrooms,
Wild Garlic Leaf Pesto, 100g Rocket, 1 Fresh Red Chilli, 2 Shallots, 1 Garlic Clove, and Grated Parmesan
1. Sauté the chopped shallots, garlic, & chilli together in butter till golden.
2. Add the mushrooms until they are soft.
3. Lightly flour the surface and roll out the dough to your desired depth.
4. Spread on the pesto, pour on the sauté mix, crumble the feta, and cook for 10-15 minutes in a 200C oven.
5. Finish with rocket & grated parmesan to serve.
Savoy Cabbage, Celery & Lentil Stew
400g Brown Lentils, 1 Savoy Cabbage, 2 Celery, 2 Carrots, 4 Onions, 4 Garlic Cloves, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt, Vegetable Stock Cube, Chilli Flakes, Lemon Juice
1. Sauté the onions, garlic, & carrots in olive oil.
2. Make a vegetable broth by soaking the cube into 5 cups of boiling water.
3. Add the lentils to the broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Mix in the chopped cabbage, celery, and sauté mix into the lentils and cook for a further 10mins.
5. Add the lemon juice, chilli flakes, & wild garlic leaf salt to flavour.
6. Serve with a good chunk of warm crispy bread.
Nettle & Spinach Soup
2 Handfuls of Nettles, 2 Handfuls of Spinach, 100ml Crème Fraîche, 50g Butter, 1 Onion, 2 Celery, 3 Carrots, 1 Garlic Clove, 1 Litre of Vegetable Stock, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt, Chilli Flakes
1. Forage the nettles with some rubber gloves on and sort through for dirt and anything else before washing them.
2. Melt the butter and sauté the onions, garlic, celery, & carrots.
3. Simmer the stock with the nettles & spinach in for 12 minutes.
4. Take off the heat and add the sauté mix, then blend and season to taste.
5. Pour into bowls, add a spoonful of crème fraîche, a drop of extra virgin olive oil, and add some chilli flakes.
Tomato, Chicory & Walnut Salad
8 Tomatoes, 2 Chicory, 200g Roquefort, 200g Walnuts, Olive Oil, Chives, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt
1. Slice the tomatoes, chicory, roquefort, walnuts and place all together.
2. Pour a good amount of olive oil and season everything.
3. Chop chives & season to serve.
Chargrilled Leeks, Chilli Green Lentils & Tahini Yogurt
300g Green Lentils, 200g Chestnut Mushrooms, 200g Leeks, 200ml Greek-Style Yogurt, 4 Eggs, 2 Fresh Red Chilli, 1tbsp Tahini Paste, Fresh Lemon Juice, Mint Leaves, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt
1. In a saucepan, cover the uncooked lentils with cold water and place on the heat. Wait until it boils, then simmer for 10 minutes. Drain & place aside.
2. Using the same saucepan, add fresh water to hard-boil the eggs.
3. Next, fry the mushrooms in butter and salt. Once the mushrooms are browning well, set aside in a bowl. Add the chopped fresh chilli to the same frying pan with a little oil, fry then add to lentils.
4. Finely strip the leeks and add them to either a hot grill or place them in the oven for 10-15mins.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the tahini paste, yogurt, fresh lemon juice, chopped mint leaves, and Wild Garlic Leaf Salt together until well combined.
6. Serve each aspect of the meal in separate bowls to allow for maximum grazing across the table!
Wild Garlic Leaf Butter
500g Unsalted Butter, 200g Wild Garlic Leaves, Wild Garlic Leaf Salt
1. Soften the butter till easy to roll.
2. Finely chop the wild garlic leaves & stir into butter, add salt to season.
3. Seal the butter into grease proof paper or baking parchment tightly into a sausage shape, twist both ends and cut off leftover paper.
4. Refrigerate and serve on warm fresh bread.
Chicory, Walnut, Roquefort & Pear Jus Salad
200g Roquefort, 200g Walnuts, 4 Whole Chicory Hearts, 2tsp Olive Oil
For the Pear Jus - 2/3 Pears, 1tsp Lemon Juice, 2 tsp Water, 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract,
Wild Garlic Leaf Salt to finish.
1. Wash & peel the chicory into their separate leaves and arrange them to cover a large plate.
2. Next up finely crumble the roquefort & walnuts over the chicory, and drizzle over the olive oil.
3. To make the pear jus, peel and remove the skins of the fruits and place the flesh into a blender.
4. Add the lemon juice, water, and vanilla extract to the pear flesh in the mixer-upper and finely blend into the consistency of a puree or jus. If you need it more runny, add more water.
5. Dollop the jus onto the salad - the amount is personal preference!
This summer salad is perfect on its own as a starter or equally as yummy as an accompaniment to pork or venison sausages.